Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Paper Mache with Iva Wilcox and Artful Gatherings

The last time I played with paper mache I had to be in single digit numbers age-wise, a very very long time ago.  Blew up the balloon, covered it with the home made mache paste and after it dried, us Brownie Scouts popped the balloon and painted the ball with tempera paints. It was uneventful enough I can't even remember the colors I painted.

So.......having some creative ambitions in mind, I signed up for Iva Wilcox's Up, Up and Away on-line class over at Artful Gatherings (still available to join Session One classes through tomorrow, June 20, then there are more classes being offered for Session Two, registration is open now with classes for Two beginning on July 15)

All the videos in Iva's class are available to watch at one time, I really like that instead of having to wait for each one to become available one at a time between days or weeks. And they stay available for some time so I can go back and re-visit details I forget. They do eventually become unavailable tho.  In that case you can purchase DVDs from the instructors for most, if not all, of the classes available at Artful Gatherings.

So, here's the WIP on my paper mache project for Up, Up and Away.  I have to admit, Iva makes it look so easy, I was more worried about the painting part.  But I'm a bit challenged in areas that surprised me! LOL!  And I must admit, I'm improvising on some of the materials, so if things don't quite come out as expected, I look right in the mirror for the problem.

Iva's special sauce, ready for mixing.

  

Drying in the sun


This is when I realized not to rely on my memory when starting the actual project a week after watching the vids.  I thought one added the strips to the sauce to soak........nopie, that couldn't be further from the truth.  One dips and slaps it on, right then and there. I had a bit of a goopy mess for awhile. Consequently the bottom of the ball, ended up a bit thick.....and I didn't realize it until it dried completely


This is where I left off last night, it's tougher to center the dowel on the bottom of the ball than I thought.  Iva's trick is great, but I prolly should have taken a little more time adjusting before punching in that dowel (one of my improvisions, a chopstick works great.  In fact next time I'm going to leave on the pointy end of the chopstick instead of sawing it off.)  The good news is that it's centered enough it appears gravity makes it hang level.

   

To be continued....
 

2 comments:

Wax Beach Artist said...

Looking good! I had to laugh at the fact you do the same as I do...rely on a poor memory, haha. Mark me, "does not follow directions!"

whyte said...

LOL Connie, yes, and I should know better!