Saturday, March 3, 2012

White acrylic again...

I should probably start a new section of my blog called Late To the Party. I know I'm not the first to come up with these ideas that solve a lot of problems I run into while creating, but when I say I'm self teaching, I really am.  I have a collection of technique books and magazines, some tutorial vids, and I love reading art blogs.  But since I'm an experimenter at heart.....that's the most fun about creating for me..... I don't take time to dig out those wonderful sources when I'm in the middle of working on something. Some things I remember.... more I do not. 

 I was putting the finishing touches on my latest submission for Stampington GreenCraft publication.  GreenCraft is about repurposing, upcycling, recycling and using what ya got already, and combining any or all of the above with one's creativity.  I prolly held 20 or more items up to the piece I was working on and nothing was doing it for me.  Finally I grabbed a bunch of silk leaves I'd found at a thrift. The theme hit perfectly; the loud autumn colors did not. So.......you guessed it.... out came the white acrylic, brushed on front and back of two leaves, let dry a bit, then wiped off enough paint to leave behind a subtle, understated embellishment......perfect for my piece.

White gesso and white acrylic (cheap cheap cheap craft white acrylic) are becoming my best friends at my worktable.  Right there next to my toothpicks!

No comments: