Friday, October 29, 2010

Photoshop Elements Fun this week

A land surveyor from Austin TX, Kent McMillan, posted one of his fabulous photographs on Facebook last week.  I asked his permission to play with it in PSE.  I'm attempting to teach myself the 1000s of artistic opportunities offered in the program; my son warned me it was addictive.  He is so correct.  I've been playing with this photo for 3 nights straight, it's changed no less than 100 times using different filters, backgrounds and effects.

Sunflower by Kent McMillan, Austin TX
Right now, I'm sticking with this creation, my current hot button is Polaroid effects and aging photos as if they've hibernated in an album for 20 years.

I love the surrealism digital editing allows 

The toughest decision on this edit was the level of transparency of the vintage photo of the two boys.  I went back and forth every night, came back and looked at them again every morning, and as much as I like to ghost the images of people, it just didn't work as well in this creation.  I think the boys look pretty good this way; mmmmm, think I ended up with about 78% opacity.  I used the background eraser to highlight just a few of the small green leaves at the top.  I may go back in and play with the "polaroid effect", the edge is a little too sharp for me, but you know that feeling ya get when it's time to quit......? Maybe another time. And this evening, I went back and forth with the brightness and contrast of the merged layers, I liked different degrees, but settled as less bright and little more contrast.

17 comments:

ArtSnark said...

fantastic- your images work well together. Are you a Mixed Media member on ning? They are doing a digital challenge that includes a download chapter from susan Tuttle's book

Liz-AnnasOnTheLake said...

I love what you did with the beautiful sunflower photo, Pat! Very creative and a perfect fit.

whyte said...

Thanks you two! I think I am a member Stacey, doh, either on ning or FB. And I have Susan Tuttle's book, will check it out.....thanks for the tip.

Laurel said...

It looks amazing!!! Sometimes I have to leave and come back later, but I think you've nailed it!

Maureen said...

It looks great Pat - Polaroid efect - something new to explore! The boys really seem to be sitting comfortably in the flower - not just pasted on there. Really cool! Great job!

whyte said...

Ya know, I think I'd like this better if I took out the little farmer on the right. I'd like the balance a bit better.....maybe next week.

Kimmie said...

I love it!!! So cute...great job! Applause!

whyte said...

Kimmie, coming from you I'm flattered to the nth degree! Thank you for leaving a comment...one of these days I'll have some free time to invest and participate in Digital Whisper....."retirement, seek me out!" :)

Indira said...

Very cool--I appreciate the art even though I am still clueless about the tecnical part.

Heidi Rand said...

Pat, this is wonderful! I really love what you did with it - very imaginative.

Junibears said...

This is gorgeous! I think you've done a wonderful job, Congrats.xx

Nancy Maxwell James said...

what an amazing collage! I love the sunflower and the sweet image you selected to add! gorgeous art! Hope you have a wonderful Halloween!

Junibears said...

Thank you for vositting and having a look at my pics. My son gave me Adobe Elements last November(not a really up to date one!) so I've been playing just about a year, I taught myself using their help section and muddled through somehow. it's just practice and finding out new things all the while.
I love your mixed media work too.
Hugs
June xx

Jessie said...

Love it, love it, love it!! And your son is right about PSE being addictive! It's now officially my favorite medium!

Leina said...

Very beautiful work. i use PSE6 since 18 month. i am very addictive and every evening i am playing with PSE. it very fun!

whyte said...

Thanks everyone! It is a lot of fun to create with PSE! Juni and Leina my son gave my PSE 6 a couple of Christmases ago.

I don't find their Help section too helpful, it seems to be a little over my head, but there is so much on the net, and so many great online classes that it's coming slowly but surely.

Lori Saul said...

Wonderful effects and expression in this piece. The imagery adds so much story and life to the original photo. Beautifully done!