Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Latest handmade paper

I'll have to shock the eco-puritans because this last batch of handmade paper was made with commercial dye.  Up to this point I've been tediously cutting away the inked sections of the used office copy paper because the inks grey the paper so much.  But I used only the inked parts in this batch and the purple dye came out a beautiful light lavender, and just a yummy shade too.  The only thing I'm not crazy about, but can live with, is the color is almost too perfect.  I like the variations in color just using paper without dye, white paper and colored papers, it looks more natural.  But how can I ignore what I can now do with the inked paper that normally hits the trash?!!

9 comments:

Midwestie Lady - Linda said...

Pat, I think that it's a yummy color! A perfect Spring or Easter color.

Laurel said...

The color and texture are marvelous!

Liz-AnnasOnTheLake said...

It's beautiful, Pat. I love that lavender colour and it would be very difficult to get it with natural dyes. I may even see a box of Rit or 2 in my future!!

whyte said...

Liz, I just used about a Tablespoon, maybe not even that, of the purple powdered Rit in ummmmmm, probably 2 gallons of water when soaking the paper. I'm so unscientific when I experiment so didn't pay attention, just shook a little dye in until I liked the color. It dried so much lighter than the color of the water while soaking.

Ann Mackay said...

That is just gorgeous! I love the colour and it's interesting to know what you can achieve with commercial dyes! Thanks for showing us. :)

Mary said...

what a luscious color! i love making paper and have never added dyes but now you have me thinking...i have tons of old dyes that i was going to destash on etsy but maybe i'll try using a few on my papers....hmmmmm....

yoborobo said...

That's a very pretty color. Makes me want to go get some dye and experiment, too! :) Pam

Cindy Adkins said...

Hi Pat,
Oh my gosh--that is too awesome!!! Aren't you amazing making your own paper? WOW!
I just became a follower and thanks so much for sending me your blog address and for all your help...
I am so grateful!!
XO
Cindy

Indira said...

Pat this is such a beautiful color. I absolutely love it.