Sunday, August 1, 2010

If you love bananas, you'll love this cobbler recipe!

I am so bored with banana bread  so I'm very excited about my-favorite-newly-discovered-and-tested-recipe to use up over-ripe bananas!  I always have the ingredients on hand, there are so few needed, and if you don't have self-rising flour, I've included a recipe at the end of the post using regular flour and simple ingredients.  (If you are a Southern Gal and don't have baking powder among your staples, I can't assist the helpless. But if you are a Southern Gal you should have self-rising flour in your cupboard anyway)

Now the original recipe is here from Southern Living magazine, submitted by  Ann Wilson from Lexington North Carolina.  I've included it because I'm always fiddling with recipes to find a different mousetrap so I've added my own version in this blog entry.  I can tell you, this is outstanding, easy, quick and delicious.  For health nuts, you might as well stop here.  Rob and I subscribe to the Paula Deen school of Southern cooking: fat, sugar, carbs and whipped cream, so just mosey elsewhere for your tofu and soy milk.

Banana Bread Cobbler serves 8 (or 2 PD fans for 2 days) 15 min. prep time

1 cup self rising flour 
1 cup sugar
1 cup milk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
2 large over-ripe bananas
streusel topping

1. Preheat over to 375°. Whisk or stir together flour and next 2 ingredients just until blended, lumps left are ok (Southern cooks already know this). Wisk or stir in vegetable oil.  Pour batter (it will be runny) into a lightly greased 11x7 baking dish.  Smoosh over-ripe bananas out of their skins and let pieces plop into batter, doesn't need to be pretty, trust me, the Streusel Topping hides it all. Sprinkle with Streusel Topping 

2. Bake at 375° for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.  Serve with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.  PD fans serve with both, adding a maraschino cherry, shredded coconut and enjoy with a coffee latte spiked with Jim Beam.

Streusel Topping     10 minutes prep time

3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup self-rising flour
1/4 cup butter, softened (less than Ann's recipe)
1 cup uncooked regular oats
1/2 cup pecans, chopped

1. Stir together brown sugar, flour, and butter until crumbly, using a fork.  Stir in oats and pecans.

Making Self-rising flour from Regular Flour for Yankees

1 cup regular white flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt

Mix together in bowl very well. 

Enjoy!


                                                 

5 comments:

Laurel said...

That looks very tasty! I'm glad you added that little tip about how to make self rising flour. I'll have to try it.
Also, you're chapeau ACEO is beautiful. I love the look of white ink and the stitching is a nice touch.

Amanda Fall - PersistentGreen said...

Ooh, this sounds delicious! My husband often brings home over-ripe bananas from work (he's a manager at Culver's restaurant), so this is perfect. Thanks for sharing.

Silence Sings said...

That looks very tasty indeed...

Loved visiting your blog mainly for the creative posts in your blog.....glad to follow you....In your free time you are welcome to visit my blog...Thanks....

Silence Sings said...

Thanks a lot for visiting my blog and leaving behind that lovely comment...pls do visit again...

Laurie said...

You crack me up! I must try this!