Tuesday, July 13, 2010

The Journal Journey

Continuing my plunge, kicking and screaming, into the world of art journaling, it's time for a progress report.  Actually, I'm going back to the start of what finally squelched the unexplained intimidation of doing this.....the explanation finally revealing itself in the form of fear of smudge...I couldn't take a chance I'd mess up this beautiful blank journal.  You experienced journalers who say "go for it, it's all about the journey"....well, easy for you to say!  So here's how I conquered.


My sis, Mary, gives me these wonderful textured matt boards used for packing materials where she works. I use them in dozens of ways and now for my art journal.  Above is the raw form, approx 4'X6" white.  I bought a package of binder rings which I found at Michaels Crafts in the cross-stitch section. (normally used for a thread organizer system of clear plastic bags with punched holes that slip over these rings)  These are the 1.5" size and come 2 per pack.


A lot of my art is "green" so, grabbing a phone book destined for the recycle bin, I tore out white pages, glued them on the matt board and painted with white gesso haphazardly. Set aside to dry and wait for that moment during the week when you feel like recess.


No fear. Played, experimented, used up scraps of paper, dug out old paint that needed to get gone, painted and covered over, painted and glued over again, pulled out ancient art tools, tried new art tools, and just cut loose.  I'm finishing some pages at one sitting, others over a couple of days.




I'm not worried about artistic abilities here, I'm playing and discovering things I like and don't like.....I love a new set of Tim Holtz masks I stumbled upon for sale, a really good sale, at Michaels.  See that whisper of a "9" here.....I'm lovin' these masks!  And this is one of the more simple pages I've made and I'm liking simple better, I think.



"Art" is another mask, but I discovered doing this page that  I don't like the masks highlighted, as with the white charcoal; I love the effect of subtle undertones, not a significant place in the mixed media. Used dryer sheets here, and some foil candy wrappers, rest is just leftovers from other mixed media projects.  There is no pressure for perfection, rules... this is the sandbox.

 

If fear of messing up is hindering you from starting an art journal, even tho the pros tell you it's ok to mess up,  maybe this would work for you.  An inexpensive alternative to my sis' packing supplies would be 4"x6" index cards from the office supply store, even sturdier than most journal book pages....they will hold up to gesso and what's to follow!

11 comments:

NANCY LEFKO said...

Pat, you are a natural !! What terrific journal pages...and YES, it is a playground and fun is the key !! So glad you have "cut loose" ...just remember, no throwing sand! :)

Robin said...

Your journal pages are wonderful! I love how you just let loose and used existing supplies.

Midwestie Lady - Linda said...

Pat, I'm so proud of you that you didn't give up and discovered your own "journal style and voice." Your pages are beautiful and full of color and interesting designs. Way to GO!

Liz-AnnasOnTheLake said...

Pat, these pages are beautiful! And I love this way of doing it. I also have a huge fear of facing the blank pages of a book.

Pam Carriker said...

Yay Pat! Now that you've started there's no turning back!!
xoxo

ArtSnark said...

Good for you Pat! I suspect we'll be seeing your gorgeous pages in one of those fancy mags one day in the near future!

Jodi Ohl said...

Love how you've created your journal pages from pieces of existing material as well as incorporated lots of supplies you haven't used in awhile. I'm sure it's been a great experience for you! Keep it up :)

Maureen said...

Pat, what a great tutorial! That mask stuff is very intriguing! Keep on keeping on!

whyte said...

Thanks friends, you know it's your encouragement, tips and guidance and your art that has inspired me to work towards starting my own art journal. I'm so glad I did, it's almost the dessert to my day in the studio. After I work on something with a little pressure to achieve a certain result, the art journal IS like recess!

Loudlife said...

Pat, these are great! I love your page ideas! I always forget about dryer sheets and throw them out (I can see this is another thing I won't be able to explain keeping to the spousal unit...). I completely agree about masks - I love the subtleness you can get with them. sometimes I use light colored stamp pads to get a really soft-edged effect. The cowgirl pic is adorable.

xo

Kathy said...

WHAT???????
You just happened to start journaling and made this????? Holy cow, the pages are fabulous. Your creative juices runneth over sweet Pat. I am so happy you went for it. I am terrified of journaling...try as I did, just could NOT let go. So I am always admiring others work. BRAVO!
xoxo