Sunday, April 25, 2010

I made paper yesterday, I'm doing it again! I liked it!


I made paper yesterday afternoon and I'm hooked. I'll leave the tutorials to the pro's, one afternoon hasn't qualified me. Just google "making paper" (out of scrap paper, not from scratch...like my awesome etsy melange team peep, Liz, check out her from-plant-fibers-and-scratch really handmade paper LizannasLakesideStudio


Nopie, my paper is made from copy paper that was destined for the trash at the office; I've been saving it for almost 2 years; I knew one day I was going to try this. I bought the blender and window screening almost 5 years ago after reading how to do it somewhere. I couldn't find the carefully saved instructions after all this time. And that meant I couldn't find how to make the deckle and frame from a standard wooden picture frame and the screen. Not to worry with the internet, I found several sites with everything I needed and more.  


Two blender-fulls of pulp made 9 sheets of 8x11 paper, more than I thought, lots more.  I figured 2.  I used about 1/3 of a ream of copy paper.  I did concentrate on using the sections with the least ink or none.  I read inks can really muddy colors. I'll use the pieces with the dark ink when I make a dark color.  This is grey, but a very pale grey.  I used coffee grounds from morning breakfast, nice texture.  Thought it would tan the paper, nada, but the grounds are very nicely distributed throughout, subtle.  One terribly comfortable night while snug under covers but watching Jack Bauer save the United States from evil forces, I handpuched a bunch of stars from very small pieces of cardstock, saving it from a premature waste while still maintaining excessive value as art. And look where those stars are now.  I used small dried oak leaves to make the impressions on a thick sheet.  I also played with marigold seeds plucked from blossoms and dried. 

The supplies are so basic and so available: 2 wooden picture frames, window screening, electric power stapler, trash paper and paper scraps, water, plastic tub large enough to accommodate the picture frames for dipping (or kitchen sink), blender, sponge, and towels. 

Lesson learned?  Less is more, love the pieces with the lighter hand on the stars and marigolds....especially as I learn to make writing paper. This is not "sized" which is needed for writing, to keep ink from bleeding, so I''ll be using my first batch for for my mixed media fun.  And the plain sheets are really my favorite, wonderful shadings of the pulp.....monochromatic is my thing most of the time.

8 comments:

Liz-AnnasOnTheLake said...

Yay, Pat!! Beautiful papers! Nothing is going to stop you now.

Midwestie Lady - Linda said...

They are so beautiful! What an accomplishment. Now I'm enthused too. :o)

Jodi Ohl said...

What a cool project to do! Looks like lots of fun, Pat. :) Thank you for sharing your experiments with paper!

Jessie said...

These are really beautiful, Pat! Can't believe you turned out such lovely pieces on your first attempt! Can't wait to see what you create with these.

Linda said...

Your handmade paper is beautiful, and your blog is inspiring. I have very little space to do this, but I'm still hoping I can eventually make some small pieces.

Indira said...

Lovely papers and a wonderful post. I feel inspired.

Ann Mackay said...

These are wonderful! I think you and LizAnna will have us all started on making paper! :D I'm on the lookout for an old blender...

whyte said...

Thank you for the comments, friends. I'm learning as I go, Liz has been such a big help to me!