Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Here's some money for you! Use it up!

Since I have a love for small pieces of art like inchies and these small handpunched tags, I work on them at the same time I am working on a focused project. It's a great way to utilize leftover tiny snippets of paper, beads, ink and paint.

I handpunch the tags from backs of greeting cards or clean, but used, manila file folders while watching a good Bogart movie.  That makes them more valuable. (snort)  There is always a pile stacked right on my worktable.  I start with ink and paint leftover from the big project: sprinkle, dabble, dip, smudge. Sometimes that's as far as I get, and they sit there a little longer waiting for the next big project. Grab the ink stamps you are currently using, glue on some snippets of fabric or paper scraps, punch a flower or two out of vintage paper snippets, here I've even used part of a wine label I liked and part of a box from a wonderfully scented candle. The point is to create these without rummaging through your studio, just build the work with everything you are using at the time, a la Carpe Diem.

This particular set of tags went to a very special person who needed a little smile, sometimes I include them as "thank you's" in my etsy orders, some I list and sell in my shop.  I find multi-tasking on several pieces at one time very satisfying, especially when I'm creating out of small things normally tossed in the trash bin.

11 comments:

Dorthe said...

Hi dear,

I just love your petit tags, well you know that,
and theese are so fantastic, -different from each other, and yet in family.
so sweet,

huhs and love Dorthe

Lafe's Hidden Treasures said...

Love them! There is something for you on my blog! http://lafeshiddentreasures.blogspot.com/ come by to get it.

Mary said...

these are awesome!

sukipoet said...

these are cute. great idea.

ArtSnark said...

These are lovely tidbits, Pat :D

Michelle Palmer said...

"(snort)" !!! I laughed so hard~ you made my day!

These are dear!
Love your blog~ such a great place... thank you for your sweet note~
Michelle

Jan said...

Love your taqs and a great way to recycle :)

Itch2stitch.com said...

They are so lovely! Thanks for visiting me! suzie xxx

whyte said...

Thanks friends! Good to see you all, I'll be around to visit over the weekend. Have missed my blog time!!

Nelly said...

Hi Pat -- I love the way you work. Makes me feel like I have company as I work most of the time like you described here. Beautiful tags you created!! Thanks for becoming a new follower to my blog. I'm now going back to checking yours more. I'm so jealous that you live in Florida!

Jami said...

How very frugal and creative these are! Thanks for sharing that inspiration. I could use a little less leftovers in my life :)
Jami