Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mary Richmond Designs "Use It Up" Challenge on Wednesdays

One of my favorite etsy artists, Mary Richmond has started a new challenge today called "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle Our Art Wednesdays".  Mary is asking us to post treasures we have created with materials we already have in our studios, not buying any new supplies or materials to make a beautiful new piece.  The timing was perfect for me because I'm becoming hooked on doing same;  a combination of a huge stash of supplies, the current economy, and the love of making something mundane into a piece of art and something personal.


I love glass jars.  Yes, vintage, but I also love glass jars that previously held pickles, mustard, capers, artichokes.....you name it.  These upcycled jars currently hold confetti and snippets of vintage papers, but you know you can think of a million other things to nestle in them. Even a tiny gift. 

Some of the upcylced materials include manilla folders, greeting cards, vintage buttons, fabric trims, bits of leftover scrapbook paper and leftover beading.  I handpunch the confetti from bitty paper scraps while watching a good Bogart movie on TV.  Bogart and my handpunches have a long-time relationship.  DH says he can't believe what is left from 1 piece of 12"x12" scrapbook paper after making cards, ACEOs, collages and mixed media and finally confetti----> Lint!


The collection of supplies comes from years of a passion for creating, including sewing, crocheting, knitting, needlwork and fine arts.  I also have this "new soap syndrome", for lack of a description for the afflication.  Ya know how you get a wonderful, beautiful, fabulous new bar of soap for a gift, and then you don't want to use it.....some of my supplies are like that, I don't want them to end.  Especially the ones that are difficult, impossible or very expensive to replace. The lace on these jars is vintage, it will be never more.

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Thanks for the heads up, I am going to check it out.
You know I love your jars...

Dezinaworld said...

Your jars are always incredible. do you gift them ? I can imagine everyone wants them
hugs June xxx

Lafe's Hidden Treasures said...

always so nice...thanks for sharing.