Thursday, September 24, 2009

The Melange Team Fabric Mixed Media Challenge 9/24/09

The deadline for the most recent Melange Team challenge was today and I came right up to the wire with my entry.  The challenge was to incorporate fabric somewhere in our mixed media piece.  That's not difficult for me since I've been a sewer for many years, taught by my Grandma and as a member of 4-H when growing up in farm country. I have a trunk full of fabric that I'm sure I will never use up in my lifetime, and I continue to buy more!  I love a fabric store! 

This is a gift to my daughter-in-law and son who are expecting my first Grandchild!  It was a journal I bought on etsy some time ago, knowing it would be used for a grand purpose, but the cover design was not appropriate for a baby theme.  So there was my opportunity to use it as my canvas for this challenge. 

Several weeks ago I was making photo image transfers using clear hand sanitizer as the medium for the transfer.  And amazingly one color image of the man in the moon, printed on my HP, gifted me with 3 transfers: 1 on gesso'd bristol and 2 on white muslin.   And here's the result using one of the muslin images sewn onto a crocheted doily, not vintage but surely old.


The cow is a from a vintage book of nursery rhymes that I altered in Photoshop Elements and printed onto cardstock.  The moon image is from
Suzee que's photostream on flickr  I find a lot of images from suzee who graciously posts vintage images for the use of artistas with some restrictions.  Thanks again Suzee!!



I added a metal scrapbook embellishment, as well as rub-ons and star sequins to fill in "cloud" space on the top of the journal.The edges are aged with Tim Holtz distress ink.  I still have a few more touches to add to the inside, then it's ready to deliver to  the new to-be Mom and Dad to keep some thoughts and memories about this wonderful news in our lives!

18 comments:

paperdreamer said...

Love it , The man in moon faces are a favorite . It is perfect for new parents or grandparents !

Brenda Lynn said...

Great job, Pat! What a thoughtful loving gift from a new grandmother. I would have loved this in my "expecting" days.

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

How sweet is that? I love that man in the moon image also and the cow!

Midwestie Lady - Linda said...

What a clever way to place your man in the moon - in the doily! The cow and stars add to this lovely gift that I'm sure they will treasure!

Kathy said...

Very sweet Pat. Perfect theme to honor this event. Good going, Grammie.....
~xx~

yoborobo said...

What a sweet and lovely gift, Pat! They are going to love it. :) Happy weekend!

Dorthe said...

What a sweet gift for the new parents,
love your man in the moon, and how you did it.
Have a great week-end Pat.

Hugs Dorthe

ArtSnark said...

what a great gift! Love the mix of patterns & textures

Sant Angelo Designs said...

Beautifully executed, Pat. What a sweet celebration of one of life's most special moments.

whyte said...

Thank you all! I'm so excited to win Glenda's generous prize of The Decorated Page book!! I can't wait to read it!! Thank you Glenda for sponsoring this team challenge and all your dedication to making Melange the success it is!!

carole said...

Hi Pat:
I really like your blog. I was in 4-H too and I remember the thrill of making my green collar and cuffs. My Mom (she is 100) let me learn to sew on her Singer treadle sewing machine when I was 7 : )
You are so talented and creative.
I love this man in the moon; the cow is so cute : )
peace
carole

whyte said...

carole, I loved 4-H, learned so much there, I wish I still had all my ribbons, we were required to enter our sewing and cooking projects in the county fair every year. I don't know what happened, I suppose my Mom put them away or eventually tossed them after I left home. The were important at the moment, then lost meaning, now would be so important again!

Nancy Maxwell James said...

what a beautiful keepsake for your son and his wife! congrats on becoming a Grandma! :)

Studio 27 said...

Beautiful and so thoughtful! What a great way to approach the fabric challenge. Congrats Grandma Whyte!

Becky Shander said...

How wonderful that you'll soon be a grandma! And a very thoughtful one as well. I'm sure that you'll have lots of fun creating special keepsakes for your nearest and dearest.

Best Wishes,
Becky

Dezinaworld said...

Oh thats so beautiful. ethereal and really vintage too
hugs June xxx

Rayann said...

That is one lucky daughter in law that is adorable

whyte said...

Friends you are too nice! Thankyou!!