Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Here's some money for you! Tags

Not literally, but a great way to recycle and repurpose items normally trash-bound. You'll come up with some cute tags for your own use or for a small gift. I am having a great time upcycling and repurposing materials I have readily available.  This was not an original idea, I read about using old envelopes recently, darn if I can remember where, but filed it away for one of those days when I didn't feel particularly like getting involved in "complicated" art.
Here's the basic tools: round hole punch, glue stick and a tag punch.
Grab your cardstock; for this project I punched the tags from the clean white backs of greeting cards, punching away from any printwork or handwritten notes (don't be throwing those away after your birthday) some odd pieces from purchased white cardstock and.....tah dah.....my favorite, those pesky inserts in magazines, don't ya just hate those things......well, learn to love them!
Now, grab those envelopes your monthly bills come in, and since you're doing on-line bill pay, use the ones they charge you for (we know they do somewhere in your fees) and include as a return envelope, and punch away.... once again with the tag punch.  There are some really cool geometric designs inside these security envelopes!
Only thing left to do now is glue the paper onto the cardstock. I leave one side of the tags blank for  gift tags. These tags are also great for scrapbooking and journaling.
Punch holes and use any yarn, ribbon, floss or cord to include a tie on.
You might as well make the best of the bills coming at you, think ahead for stocking stuffers! In my etsy shop---whyte

7 comments:

dogdazzle said...

Those tags look great! Thanks for passing along the idea.

Dorthe said...

Hi I see you joined my -follower- thanks so much, I found you through Silke, and think your blog is a great place, love what you are doing, and think it is wonderfull you sharing great ideas with us, Thankyou.

xo , Dorthe

Lynn said...

Woo hoo, great looking tags, thanks for all the ideas :)

Lucy said...

Great use for those pesky envelopes and my pile of cards I've saved! What type of glue do you use (glue stick or other??)

Robin said...

Great idea and your tags turned out fabulous!

Becky Shander said...

Thanks for the tip! I haven't seen this particular idea before and it's very useful. I'm huge into using recycled materials for my artwork and love seeing that others share this passion.

whyte said...

I just used my standard, trusty glue stick. Dorthe, thanks for hopping over, isn't Silke just a sweetheart! Thanks for all your comments. Becky, thank you for joining the post! You know I am an admirer of your repurposing work! I love to encourage others to look around them to see what they might recyle and repurpose. Especially in this time of a very tough economy. We have tons of available supplies already, we just have to look at many things creatively to see the the possibilities.