Thursday, July 23, 2009

True Confessions of a Pack Rat

Among my friends of the Melange Team on Etsy I asked them to share how they approach starting a new treasure. I have a difficult time, most of the time, coming up with an idea. I prefer to be original, and that's tough...somebody has usually already tried and published any form of craft or art I attempt. Once I do have that idea though, I have to drag myself away to the rest of my life outside of my studio and remember to breathe, eat and sleep.

AnyyyyyWhoooo, this led to discussion about the spaces we create in. It appears many are untidy in their spaces as I am. Some profess to have to start with a clean workspace......oh I wish it was so for me. Every time I go back in to my studio with the intent of actually cleaning, it only takes one tiny piece of cool (usually aged and vintage) paper to divert my well intentions of order. Instead of touching and putting away, I think...."hmmmmm, I could whip up a little tag or magnet in 5 minutes from this" and hours later, after I regain consciousness from alien abduction, I look down and there is a bigger pile of disarray, minute scraps, ink stained, gluey worksheets on my worktable (which by the way is my long passed Grandmother's kitchen table I rescued during a farm auction after a dealer bought it for $3. I got there late, found him and bought it back for $25, thank you God)

I have this pack rat gene inherited from my Mother's side of the family;I know 'cause my Mom was always saving the silliest (LOL, 'cause I'm much much worse than this) things in case they might become useful. But she saved real things, like newspapers for the Boy Scout drive that made our basement a fire hazard, margarine bowls instead of Tupperware, clothes from 40 years earlier in her life....you know, actual working things. Me.....I save small pieces of paper, cardboard, mustard jars (by the way this will be my next blog entry about this problem I have...because recently I've found a group that has this same addiction and I'm so excited!!)

I just work better with a lot of this "trash" within view. I have a lot of storage space with bins, notebooks, drawers and cabinets, but then I forget what's in them. It's really a goal of using up immediate scraps to prevent cutting into a brand new sheet of paper. Heaven forbid!
So there it is, friends, my worktable just as it was left after my last project (my whisper entry in the Melange Team Challenge) last weekend. The fast food restaurant tray (and I didn't steal this, honestly, this just showed up one day......really cross my heart I have no clue how it got into the house!) was one attempt to keep the workspace free for actually working. And in the far right bottom of this last overhead photo, there really are some tags I make with these little bits of ephemera instead of putting them away. I can't put the tags away because they remind me what I've got going, theme wise. The professional mind-Drs. say acknowledgement and confronting the problem is the start to recovery. So after discussion among my team mates, the idea of posting on my blog might be the first step to helping me with my Pack Rat addiction. I should feel very embarrassed but it's not working yet. How long does it take for that to happen?

12 comments:

WindandHoney said...

Yes, the first 2 pictures are what my space looks like when I'm in the middle of a project. Which is why its such a big deal to put everything up when I'm done. But, alas, I must put it up or my brain gets too full. And I even have the look of the last picture sometimes. That is when I end up moving to the floor to work.
So, is this support group for people that save mustard jars???

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

I love it...and I'd love to hear more about that mustard jar group :)

Renée Gandy said...

I can identify with this..dare i go out to the studio and take some pics..I just might..hey where is this mustard jar group ??LOL

QueenBe said...

Yikes, Pat.... I feel overwhelmed just looking at your art table! As messy as you are, I am equally (to a flaw) a neat freak. I hate being a neat freak! If I come across something messy, I just want to straighten it up! I wish we could both meet in the midddle and find a happy medium!

Loudlife said...

Ha ha ha! Alien abduction - that's it! Don't feel bad, here's a peek at what I usually have going on...(don't be scared, I haven't lost my child in there yet!)

Look! A hot link! (I hope)

whyte said...

The mustard group is actually a group I've discovered in Stampington's brand new publication called Green Craft that just came in the mail Tues. I'm floating!!! There are people just like me that collect grocery store glass jars, cardboard (one artist made a dress out of a refrigerator box!! Oh, I'm in the emerald city!!) newspaper, plastic grocery bags and other items you'd normally toss, and repurpose them into art and craftwork.

Laurie, yes looks very familiar!! Carol, can we still be friends?! :( LOL!

Linda Hardy said...

What a pig you are Pat! LOLOLOL Actually, it looks like my nest too :) LOLOL

yoborobo said...

Uh, Pat, did you sneak into my house and photograph my table? I'm just thrilled to find another art slob...I mean, neatness-challenged artist. :) And if I have mustard jars on my table, I sure as hell can't find them.

This summer I swore I would organize my art space. Tick Tock. :)

Kathy said...

HAHA!! Now that is truly a work table girl! I have to have mine neat and clean to work for some reason. I like nice clear open spaces I think.

risa said...

Be proud of your creative mess. And no need to change a thing if it's working for you!

PCarriker said...

I'm more toward the neat freak side, but I have learned (insert living in an all male household) to relax a bit. My work table has to be clean though before I can start on a project.

Lucy said...

love your space Pat, my table looks like that in the midst of a project and then after I'm done I 'try' to clear a bit out again. My problem is that my creative muse has travelled passed the table and into other parts of the house and that is driving me NUTZ! :) Thanks for sharing your space!