Wednesday, July 1, 2009

My garden in July


Found this little guy/gal on one of my aloes while taking some photos for my "In My Garden This Month" side bar. I think he/she is an anole, but he just hasn't gotten his green clothes on yet. I went to my favorite Florida blog, Pure Florida, and shurnuff, a feature on anoles had just been added last Saturday, how lucky is THAT?! Now, after reading Pure Florida's blog entry, I'm wondering if this one is really a Fence, but I don't think so. We have fences too, but they have fatter brains, therefore bigger heads. (that's just me trying to be funny, I don't really know if they have fatter brains, but they do have fatter heads.)

I had a pet anole when I was in 6th grade, given to me by my very first boyfriend ever, Brad Musial. We'd been on a school field trip to the St. Louis Zoo and unbeknownst to me, Brad loved me. So he bought me a little "chameleon" (they called them) with a string around it's neck and a safety pin so you could attach them onto your shoulder.....honestly, the zoo did that back then. Obviously, there was no SPCA in the old days. I brought him home, named him Bradley (what else) and created a home from a leaky aquarium. Sand and rock, lots of limbs and leaves that had to be changed daily, and he ate live flies. Have you ever tried to catch a housefly alive? He lived about 3 months and then succumbed, but he lasted longer than Brad Musial. I think we stayed in love for a week, maybe two.

5 comments:

ArtSnark said...

My 5 yr old has been trying to catch them once I explained how they lose their tales to escape our cat (& other predators). Too funny - no luck so far tho

yoborobo said...

Brad's loss, right? :) Great post.

Maria-Thérèse said...

Adorable!!! I would be happier to see a tiny friend like that in the garden than seeing the most beautiful flower!!

♥ maria-thérèse www.afiori.com

QueenBe said...

Creatures like this are adorable!

whyte said...

My son needs to add his comments here, he (who used to let geckos and bigger lizards run loose in our house during his herpitologist years--middle school)says this is a brown anole which is trying very hard to make the green anole leave FL. Still cute though!