Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Altered Art Tin, Brother and Sister, Upcycled and Repurposed

Just added to my etsy shop this evening. I've had a stash of tins (this is one of the old Altoids before they switched to a raised embossed logo on their mint tins, boooooo) and something I've wanted to create since I discovered altered art and mixed media a couple of years ago. I sanded the tins and put out in the Florida rain and humidity but it still took quite awhile to age. But thanks to one of my Melange Team (an etsy street team) members, the final touch including wonderful crackling paint on the outside of the tin was added on the 4th of July right before the boston butt went on the smoker. A tin thrown on a wood fire ages remarkably quickly, like in about 3 minutes if that. The inside of the top cover is a section of a vintage ledger sheet, complete with the original ledger entries. I printed the poem (saying lots of prayers that the ledger made it through the printer...I do love my repositional spray adhesive for things that shouldn't be printed upon that help make them ok to print upon). Just used regular copy paper for backing and feeding through the ole HP.

But I had to seal it quickly with acrylic spray....the old paper is not porous like today's paper, so the ink floats on top, learned that the hard way. So....second attempt I carefully carried the delicate paper straight to the spray station and allowed it to set up overnight to make sure there was a good seal over the ink. Perfect! I reprinted the vintage photo of the little girl and boy on matte photo paper, and I have to figure out what wonderful blogger offered the image up for the taking on their blog so I can give them a big thanks and credit here on my blog. There are so many wonderful and generous artisans who blog and share. I had to add a glitter star. I'm more in love with using glitter in my pieces than I ever thought I would be. I orginally purchased several jars for cardmaking, but this glitter is fine and doesn't shed easily, so love incorporating it into lots of my treasures....adds that shabby chic to the pieces.

3 comments:

risa said...

I've been saving these sort of tins for a while now...maybe it's time I do something with them! Your tips will help! Nice work!

Wax Beach Artist said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing all those hints for ease of creation on vintage paper! I love that you threw it on the fire! Lol, what a wonderful solution, thanks for sharing.

Wax Beach Artist said...

I love this! Thanks for sharing all those hints for ease of creation on vintage paper! I love that you threw it on the fire! Lol, what a wonderful solution, thanks for sharing.