Monday, June 1, 2009

Challenge at The Melange Team Blog

Last Wednesday the Melange Team Challenge word prompt was *dance*.

I'm still enthralled with these wonderful textured, heavy white papers my sister gave me from their packing supplies. I cropped this one to 4"x6" so it would fit a standard photo frame. They are heavier than the 140 lb cold press watercolor I like. I did not prime this one with gesso because I wanted to see what the acrylics and other mediums would do. After playing, I think I like the tooth gesso gives canvas and papers, but it was not particularly a huge issue one way or the other.

I hadn't a clue where I was going with this, all the way up to the finish. It started with the black and white vintage publication of 5 ballet dancers that was included in a free-style collage kit I purchased on ebay last year, and about the only item left; I didn't like it. But I started building from there after painting the entire *canvas* black and dark black-green. I've used some metallic silver and gold paints, along with some silver metallic powder pigment mixed with black acrylic. The camera just doesn't pick up the glimmer.....er, I should say the photographer doesn't pick up the glimmer. The stamp used for the woman's face didn't impress well, and at first I was disappointed. But the more I worked the piece, the more I liked the effect of the 4th and 5th dancer (click for zoom) barely working through her face. Surreal. What's a little spooky is that after I photographed *the dancer*, and began to edit in Photoshop, I started seeing faces that I didn't put there! Kid you not....I'm not into metaphysical or weird stuff, but this is a little weird. Do you see that ghost of a face between the male and female ballet dancers? The mouth and eyes are the most evident, then there is a bit of a nose there, too. Even going back and actually looking at the piece, I can't see what the photo shows. Weird, huh? dada da da, dada da da, dada da da (singing Twight Zone theme).
The child silhouette is my new daughter-in-law, Natalie, when she was a little girl. I made the favors for her "princess" wedding brunch. The silhouette with blue trim was on the invitations, so I incorporated the same into the favors for the tables, and now this piece. She still dances with a troupe in Orlando.
Carol, you see your wire ACEO easels peeking out in the top photo? I love those from your etsy shop!!! And that's the last one; I'm using all the others (gave one away as a gift) for my ACEO's.

8 comments:

Studio 27 said...

So lovely, you did a wonderful job!

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

Wow, this is such a great and very interesting piece Pat. Food for thought.

ArtSnark said...

Great piece & love the explanation. Always fun to get a "walk through" of the process. I do see the face -ooooh cool.

QueenBe said...

Pat, thanks for using and enjoying the easels. I am finding they are useful for so many things and I appreciate you using them in such special pieces. This is truly unique!

Silke said...

That is such a great piece - I love all the layers and how it sort of worked itself out to look wonderful by the end. Thanks for visiting my blog! I love yours and will be back! :) Silke

Chrisy said...

I like this piece immediately...wish I could see it 'in the flesh'!...think this could be a future gift for that talented daughter in law of yours...

Kathy said...

Hey Pat~
Thanks for the "heads up" on this. As you KNOW, I am interested in everything....ghostly. And I do see this face, clear as day to me. I am so jealous!!!!!!! LOL I have never had anything show up in my work, I would pee my pants. Hubby always tells me I am bringing spirits into the house with all of this "old crap" I bring in here. (mainly photos) I would much rather hang with these old souls then todays people. lol
I love this, and I am so impressed by it. I even saved the pic to show my sister (we share the ghost thing) when we go to OBX.
Can't wait to see what you create next.
~xx~
Kathy

Meikoningin said...

That looks stunning ! i really like the weathered look :D