Saturday, May 9, 2009

Printing on fabric! I did it! And without killing the HP!

My recent entry for this week's Melange Team challenge using the word prompt, "Mother". This is a repro of a vintage photo of my Mom's Mom, my Granny Alma. It's a bookmark for my Mom (an avid reader). She'll be getting it late, but my sister Mary has CMA because she bought pots of hanging geraniums for Mom's front porch from both of us!

I've been chomping at the bit to try to print on fabric with the HP workhorse we have; had to research all the methods of image transfer and there are bunches. I waited until hubby fell asleep one night 'cause I was really worried the fabric, which I tacked to regular copy paper with repositional spray adhesive, was going to get stuck in the printer and gum it up. And with him fast asleep I was not only assured of actual commencement, but had copious time to recover any mess without Robbie freaking. One cannot buy this HP printer anymore and he lovvvvvves it, so this experiment ranked right up there with jumping out of a plane with no backup ripcord!

The first time, the fabric bunched at the top and screwed up the image, so back to the garage for the spray tack. Second time worked perfect!! Stamped *alma* with staz-on ink, sprayed a little acrylic to set the printer ink (it will run if wet, you can see a little boo above the "l") and added a touch of hand sewn embroidery (whew, been a long time since I've picked up that needle and out of practice!)

So now I've opened up another new door for my mixed media experiments! I'm still nervous about using THAT printer, but what's an artist to do?! :-)

7 comments:

ennadoolf said...

Very cool! And a much neater print than when I print onto iron-on stuff and then iron on to the fabric. ...and your embroidery sure looks fine to me!

NANCY LEFKO said...

looks great....mom will love it !!!!

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

So pretty Pat. Your mother is going to be so excited and I bet she is doubly impressed. There is something about the personalized gifts that we give that are so important. Good job...G

Kathy said...

Your mom will really adore this Pat. So nice to try something new, huh?

QueenBe said...

Pat I am so imopressed.. and for your first try?!? It turned out beautifully! Carol

Chrisy said...

This is a perfect gift...a great idea...she'll treasure it...and am sure you'll be having more fun with that printer and fabric!

Rayann said...

ooo that came out wonderful.
I too am scared to print on fabric mabe when Im feeling a little richer this way I can run and buy a new one incase I ruin my existing printer. Hilarious how you waited for hubs to go to sleep LOL