Sunday, May 17, 2009

The Melange Challenge word prompt *Lace*

This is my entry in The Mellange Team Challange from last week. The word prompt is *LACE* and the team members surely knew who came up with that little jewel of a prompt! I was pruning back my Carolina jasmine a few weeks ago; it's massive, vining up into the tall oaks on our property. I saved some of the longer and thinner tendrils and formed the wreaths while still pliable, wired them and soaked in water for 2-4 hours. I love to make wreaths from Florida vines, namely wild grape and jasmine. In the past before you could buy them at Michaels for a couple of dollars, I made huge 2-3 foot diameter vine wreaths. Although I have added silk flowers and all kinds of fruits in the past, I've always preferred the vine wreaths naked! I just like their simplicity. This is a small wreath, about 9" long and 8" wide. The vintage lace handle at the top gives it another 3" on the length when hanging. The flower is made from a long piece of vintage lace I gathered into the flower shape; the tag is muslin, printed with a vintage photo and aged with inks. The large white lily is not integrated into the wreath, rather on the calendar page I used as my background. Looks like it crawls right into the wreath, doesn't it?!!

7 comments:

Glenda-TwoCoolTexans said...

Very very nice. You are really "working out" with the altered art pieces lately. Love the feminine, sweet touches.

Kathy said...

This is simply sweet, oh, I love this. The lace and the twig wreath, brilliant!!! Great job!

whyte said...

The altered art fills my obsession with repurposing and upcycling. I fell into it by accident trying to conserve and quit tossing useful things. I was decorating Sam's gallon pickle jars before altered art was *invented* LOL!

NANCY LEFKO said...

very, very pretty !! love the combination of the lace and the twig wreath :)

ArtSnark said...

Just lovely! Fabulous image too

Chrisy said...

Beautiful...I was interested to read about your process with the vine...ta!

Alisa Nordholt-Dean said...

I love your wreath! The elements you included are just perfect.