Thursday, April 16, 2009

Making Ceviche


Costa Rica Ceviche
Originally uploaded by
golden arch
Ceviche is not a new mixed media or gel transfer process! My son requested my recipe for ceviche (which he doesn't recall that I ever had one) after his first taste of ceviche last week in Costa Rica. Unfortunately it's been too long since I've made ceviche (aka seviche) so I went on line to find a recipe that was like or similar to what I made many years ago. I found one, and with a little tweaking, it is my recipe.

One must use very fresh fish, and not an oily fish, i.e. no mackerel or tuna. I used to make mine using tile fish, a very deep-water salt water fish. I've recently read there are some health concerns with deep water fish so you may want to substitute. Snapper, grouper, or tilapia will also work.

Now, for those NOT into sushi, this is not sushi. I promise you I will not eat anything remotely un-palatable or funky. I won't even eat leftover steak because to me it develops a funk taste after a few hours; and I can't handle any fish that tastes like it is still swimming, or chicken that is still clucking. So if you are not braveheart in the gourmet department you still have little to fear trying ceviche. The acid in the lime and lemon juices "cooks" the fish and the consistency is exactly like cooked fish, only chilled.

Prepare this in a glass container, not metal. I prepared and kept my ceviche in a 9"X13" glass baking dish, covered and refrigerated. My recipe did not call for cilantro and I know that because I never heard of cilantro before 1998. But I'm thinking it is a great addition. I also did not use jalapeño but leaving it in this recipe for those who like a tad bit of heat. Red onions are key and imperative for ceviche. And some recipes call for just lemon juice, but I've always preferred the lime juice over lemon, this has a little of both, so I left both.

Credit to the photo goes to golden arch on flickr!

CEVICHE
1 pound very fresh, raw fish fillets, diced
3/4 cup fresh lime juice
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 jalapeño, seeded and minced (optional)
1/2 cup finely diced red bell peppers
1/2 thinly sliced small red onion
1 minced small garlic clove
2 tablespoons chopped pimento
Salt
1 tablespoon fresh minced cilantro
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, toss the diced fish with the lime juice, lemon juice, jalapeño, pimento, red bell peppers, red onion, garlic and season with salt. Refrigerate the ceviche for 60 minutes. Stir in the cilantro and extra-virgin olive oil and serve.

So... are you game?

1 comment:

Rose said...

I'm going to have to give this a try! I do love sushi though!